Six months. It’s been almost six months since we were last open. That’s incredible. And if, like me, you’re feeling stiff and inflexible and ready to bust out of your shell, then I hope you’ll be as excited as I am that we’re finally reopening! The official announcement hasn’t come from the governor yet, but word on the street is gyms will be allowed to reopen after Labor Day. While we hold our breath, we’re also working on getting Ringstar ready for safe use.
Back in March I closed our doors in advance of the state-mandated shut down, in no small part because we still didn’t know a lot about COVID-19, and what the big risk factors were. While we had all hoped to be on the other side of this pandemic by now, we are armed with more knowledge and some solid procedures for allowing everyone to safely enjoy our classes. Take a look at the list of new policies and procedures we’re implementing for the foreseeable future:
- Small class sizes: aerial silks and AIReal Yoga are now capped at only THREE students per class.
- Instead of open gym, we will now have Open Floor and Open Fly. During Open Floor, you get your own little practice space separated by more than six feet from the next space over. And for Open Fly, you get your own dedicated aerial silk.
- With the exception of Stage Combat and Self Defense, which are handled directly by their instructors, we now require online advance registration for ALL classes and studio programs, including Open Floor and Open Fly.
- We have, unfortunately, had to raise our prices due to the small class sizes. Drop in rates are now $10-$20 depending on the class. We are also not offering multi-session passes, as the current climate is too unpredictable.
- Our schedule now separates all classes by a minimum of half an hour to give everyone ample time to enter and exit.
- Students may not enter the building more than fifteen minutes before the scheduled start time of a class. Likewise, students may not linger more than 15 minutes after the end of a class (unless it’s the last class of the day, and then only with instructor permission).
- Everyone who enters the building will have their temperature checked via contactless thermometer.
- People who are sick, who have been sick within the last two weeks, who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days, or who have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days should refrain from coming to the studio.
- Visitors and observers will no longer be allowed to remain in the building, not even in the welcome area.
- Everyone in the building must wear a mask at all times. The only indoor exception is if you are in the bathroom with the door closed. You are also welcome to step outside.
- Face shields are an acceptable substitute for masks, EXCEPT for during aerial silks classes. They are simply too large and cumbersome to be safely worn for circus.
- All students must wash their hands before and after class. Hand sanitizer will also be freely available.
- Social distancing will be required of all people at all times, with the exception of people who live together.
- Even if you’ve been to the studio a hundred times before, we are updating our waivers and will require all visitors to sign a new one (you can take care of this electronically in your Wellness Living account).
- Yoga mats, straps, and wheels will no longer be available for use. Yoga blocks will still be available.
- Grip spray will no longer be provided. Sorry. 🙁
- When the weather permits it, the front and back doors will be left open to encourage air flow.
- For the time being we are suspending the pro studio program.
- We are also removing our selection of refreshments, so no Clif bars, canned and bottled beverages, or tea.
- We will not be providing cups for water, but the water cooler will be accessible if you want to fill up a water bottle.
Cleaning and Sanitizing Procedures:
- Every aerial silk and aerial hammock will be laundered after each use.
- All mats will get wiped down with sanitizing solution after each use.
- Props such as yoga blocks and the stall bars will be treated with sanitizing spray after every use.
- Hard surfaces such as bathroom surfaces and door handles will be wiped down with sanitizing wipes before and after classes. With the exception of opening our front door, all of our doors can be operated by pushing with your shoulder or by using your elbow. We’ll provide napkins so that you can open the front door without touching the handle.
- Our athletic floor will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized once a week.
- Our air purifiers will be running continuously.
- As an added precaution, we will only be open five days a week, allowing for two “rest” days for the space.
If more precautions are added I’ll add them to this list. Thank you all for being so patient and for looking out for yourselves and for each other as we weather this public health crisis. We’ll see you soon!